Saturday, May 5, 2012

Chunky Vegetarian Chili (Summer Chili)


Hi there all! It's been a LONG time since I've posted. Things have been super crazy and don't seem to be slowing down, but I've discovered a new recipe that I had to share. I found it on Pinterest where I was directed to myrecipes.com. I changed the recipe some.

I am a huge chili fan. And a huge meat fan. But the other night a friend that doesn't eat a lot of meat was joining us for dinner, so I decided to find a vegetarian chili recipe. It was fantastic! So I've decided to make it again for the two passionate carnivores that live in my home (my husband and myself).

Ingredients:

1 tablespoon olive oil
2 cups chopped onion
1 cup chopped bell pepper (I used green, yellow, orange and red, but you can use whatever kind you like.)
2 minced garlic cloves
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 can (approx. 15 oz.) Mexican tomatoes or Rotel, undrained
1 can (approx. 15 oz.) diced tomatoes, undrained
2 cans (approx. 15 oz.) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
1 can (approx. 15 oz.) can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
1 can (approx. 15 oz.) can chili beans, undrained
1 tablespoon white vinegar

Directions:

1. Heat oil in dutch oven and saute onions, peppers and garlic for about 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
2. Add sugar and seasonings and stir.
3. Add remaining ingredients, stir and bring to a boil.

4. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.

5. Top with your favorite chili toppings. (I like chopped onions, fresh cilantro, cheese and sour cream.)
The taste of the vegetables are really brought out because of the vinegar. This chili tastes light and fresh, therefore it makes a great summer chili!


Sherylyn

No comments:

Post a Comment

Do you have a comment, question or suggestion? I'd love to hear from you!